As the Social Media Manager for a growing marketing company, I get asked the same question at events, parties, social gatherings, throw downs, shindigs, etc. And that question obviously is, “Can I be just like you?”. Ok, so that’s not exactly how it goes, but it should be! Because I have the most awesome job in the world. Instead, I get asked, “So what exactly do you do?” and really what they’re thinking is, “What exactly is the value of what you do?”. I get it. I do. When your job title starts with the word ‘social’ alongside the misconception that social media was created for vain, self-involved 16 year-old girls who think what kind of salad dressing they ate for lunch is big news, you don’t immediately gain respect for your work. So I’d like to answer that question here and clear any misconceptions about being a Social Media Manager.
The short answer is that I manage the social media accounts for EXIT’s clients which means I post daily on Facebook and Twitter and write a weekly blog. And handle LinkedIn, Google +, and Pinterest, when necessary.
The long (and more accurate) answer is this:
-I constantly follow trends, news, articles,etc. that I can tie back to my clients’ products in order to provide them exposure.
-I answer all clients’ customer reviews (both positive and negative) to fix any problems or thank any customers for their time and kind words.
-I provide brand consistent helpful tips, promotions, FAQ through posts to my clients’ customers to keep them engaged in my clients’ services.
-I study my clients’ customers to tailor my messaging to them. Do they like music, movies, food, travel? Knowing a target audience is power.
-I interview client employees so their customers can see a personal touch and warmth behind the service/product they’re selling.
-I work in ways to up organic SEO rankings.
-I analyze and then analyze some more and then I analyze again. How many followers did my clients receive this month compared to last month? Which posts did they engage in? How can I draw in even more people to take part in my clients’ services?
EXIT’s vision for social media managing goes beyond even what we do now. We want to be in the field with our clients showing their customers a peak behind the curtain. We want to provide transparency through social media with regular Before and After features, Periscope broadcasting, and events for social media followers to participate in.
The value question comes next. Why do all that? And there is where I can seal the deal.
– 71% of Internet users have a Facebook account concluding in 1.15 billion people.
– 70% of monthly active Facebook users are connected to a local business. In an average week, there are more than 645 million views on local business Facebook pages and over 1.3 million comments on them.
– 50% of all social media users under the age of 35 follow their online friends’ product and service recommendations.
– 47% of Americans say that Facebook has a greater impact on their purchasing behavior than any other network.
– 33% of Millenials are more likely to buy from a company if it has a Facebook page.
– 63% of people who use Facebook and Twitter get their news solely from those two sites.
– 82% of buyers say they trust a company more when its CEO and leadership team are active in social media (yet 36% of executives say their CEO cares nothing or little about their company’s reputation in social media).
The numbers don’t lie. It’s time to get with the times.